My Aims ...

To establish as an successful LAE by 2011
Visit Old Trafford to watch ManUtd's game
Learn Piano

Monday, October 1, 2007

Jump Start ... Help!!


As daily routine, after training, we all walk to car-park and head home especially during this time where all the Muslims friends are rushing home to prepare for their 'buka puasa'. As I had sent my car for service early in the morning, so I need Wen Jie's help to send me to the Perodua Panel Workshop to collect my car. when everyone had gone their way, I saw my insrtuctor, Mr Badarul (abg Bad) went around asking for car jumper cables. Not his car, but actually he was helping our Avionics Lab Assistant, Mr Zul to find someone to 'jump-start' his car because the car's battery had gone flat. Reason, because Mr Zul had forgotten to switch off his car's lights this morning. Wow ... Here come Mr Konas, my Avionics's instructor. He is natural cheerful man with lots of jokes and ideas. He is good in electrical circuit, so he tried his magical touch, trying to resurrect the car, but all his efforts were in vain. We also couldnt push the car to start the engine because Mr Zul's car is an automatic car. Ooh... now I know. Haha ... Abg Bad called Mr Misni, our Workshop Manager to ask for jumper cable, unfortunately he also did not have any. Oh my God! Finally, Abg Bad thought of Mr Au, our Training Manager, who turned out to be the saviour ... Lucky ... Mr Au is one of my favourite instructor because he can really teach well, clear and systematic. I have been learning a lot of things from him especially on the technical side of aircraft's system. Within a minute, we connected Mr Zul's car to Wen Jie's car and jump-started it, then engine started. Wow, miracle ... eeh, how it works? Full of curiosity, I asked Abg Bad, an electrical man also, what actually happened? He explained: " Jump start is like connecting a serviceable battery to the worn-out battery in parallel. Using the voltage from the serviceable battery, a working voltage is applied to create spark over the spark plug to start the engine. Once the engine has started, the alternator will change back the worn-out battery." Ooh, that's how it works. I see, I see. I also learn some new things about car today, such as function of voltage stabilizer, a 'current amplifier' and typical engine servicing procedures.. Being a technical man as future engineer, we should have learned and understood how the systems worked not only in aeroplane but also car as well. Wow ... Thanks Abg Bad, i have learned something new today ...

No comments: