My Aims ...

To establish as an successful LAE by 2011
Visit Old Trafford to watch ManUtd's game
Learn Piano

Monday, February 25, 2008

Twist, Twist and Twist!

This afternoon, I learned how to do "wire-locking" techniques. In short, "wire-locking" is a process where wire is locked up the aircraft's fasteners such as bolts, nuts, cable fittings and turnbuckles in position so that these fasteners will not loosen due to severe vibration during the operation of aircraft. In the beginning, we were taught how to twist the wire around the nuts and bolts, as well as the safety precaution when performing this task. Last Friday, I had a hard time doing wire locking; encountering a lots of difficulties for instance, the wire is too short, loose twisting, untidy arrangements, incorrect methods and so forth ... However, today, I learn to do it correctly, after many trials, I get the hang of it. It isn't that hard, if you do it properly. My instructor, Mr Misni is so patient and willing to teach me because I have nagged him several times to show me the wire-locking process, again and again. I ask him many questions, hopefully he doesn't piss off with me. Mr Misni had taught me the skills I required (jerking, twisting, pig-tailing) Enjoy doing wire locking this afternoon with the pneumatic components in METC workshop. By the way, I did the wire-locking manually with my hands, as the areas of working were quite restricted. Haha ... Painful ooh my fingers, when I first twisted the wire, but eventually I felt it was not so much of challenges. Wire-locking is only one of the BASIC skills for a LAE. There are more to learn ooh. Hehe :D


This is the wire used for locking.
This wire comes in various sizes in diameter,
depending on the types of fasteners that are being locked.
These wire is mainly made of coated Aluminum Alloys
and Stainless Steel.


With this tool (Wire Twister), life becomes easier.
It is able to twist the wire smoothly with equal spacing.
It is fast and accurate.
Not forgotten, it will not cause pain in your fingers XD
as in the case of manual twisting with hands.
However, it cannot be used in restricted working area.
Haha (",)

No comments: