My Aims ...

To establish as an successful LAE by 2011
Visit Old Trafford to watch ManUtd's game
Learn Piano

Monday, November 17, 2008

DIY your own Sushi ...

Do you know it is kinda hard and tiring for our mum to cook a set of balance diet for a family everyday? Just figuring what to cook; vegetables, fish or meats will be troublesome, what to say if the kids dislike certain food or prefer different ways of cooking. Such an uphill task. Then, suddenly, daddy says' " Let's go dinner outside tonight! " The kids will be shouting in excitement, while mummy will be wondering how she supposes to get rip of the food prepared earlier. Wasted the food, effort and time of your mum, don't you feel bad? Will I do. Even if I were to hang-out with my friends, I will ensure I come back home for my meal if my mum has prepared my share, otherwise I will inform her not to prepare my food.

That's just an example of a scenario occurred in every family, I believe, once in awhile. Haha. Well, I have to say my mum is always being a creative woman who sort things out. Not too say, she is well-talented in cooking and bakery, she is indeed a whole and complete person who gives me endless love with her burning passion and everlasting cares. Do you know how my mum solves the problem when dad is taking us out for dinner? Haha. She makes the cooked rice into SUSHI ... Yup, Sushi!!

Sushi (寿司), originarly from the counrty of the Sun, Japan, is a dish made of rice, usually topped with other ingredients, including fish, various meats, and vegetables. There are different types of sushis, such as makizushi (roll type), nigirizushi, narizushi and chirashi-zushi (sushi rice in bowl). Out of all these types, the makizushi or the roll type is the most favourite among us. Today, this post is specially to all my respected readers, a simple step-by-step on how to DIY your own sushis at home.

Let's get started ...

First, the ingredients,
Sushi Rice
Nori ( Seaweed wrappers)
Egg Omelet
Cucumber
Carrot
Kani Kama ( imitation crab stick )
Sausage
Meat Floss
Sugar
Salt
Pepper
Rice Vinegar


Sushi Rice
You can use home cook rice as sushi for simplicity,
however, other alternatives include,
brown rice and fragrant rice.
The rice must be cooled to room temperature
before being used for a filling in a sushi.
Mix the rice well with sufficient sugar, salt, pepper
and few tea-spoons of rice vinegar.
Not too much of vinegar,
otherwise it will be too soury ...


Meat Floss for filling ...
Note: This is a non-halal ingredient.
This is also a short-cut too if
you are lazy to prepare the meats filling.
Some simple filling may be of
sardine or tuna in mayo,
raw sashimi from hypermarket,
ham, shrimp and
Kani- Kama
( imitation of crab stick)


Sausage and Egg Omelet
To prepare Egg Omelet,
beat thoroughly the eggs in a
bowl with a spoon.
Add a munch of salt and ajinomoto as seasoning.
Fried them in thin sheet layers with a
non-sticky pan on slow gas flame.
Cut the Egg Omelet into small pieces as shown.
The sausage can be oil-fried
or steamed with clear water.


Preserved Vegetables
Mainly consists of Cucumber, Chilies, Carrots and
Gingers mix with rice vinegar.
Commonly known as " acar " in households,
this preserved vegetable is usually served in
Chinese family to be eaten with keropok
during Chinese New Year.
If you don't have " acar ",
you can opt to try sweetcorn mixed with mayo,
fermented soybeans or pickles vegetables


Spread the sushi rice on the seaweed wrapper
with a wooden cutting block supporting beneath,
and subsequently,
place the fillings on top of the sushi rice as shown.
The amount of rice to be used must be balance,
otherwise your sushi roll will be out-of-shape.


Roll the sushi up with the seaweed wrapper.
As you roll, compress the sushi rice from
the top and side to form out the round circular shape.


The end result will be looking something like this


Cut them into small pieces of about 1 inches of thickness.
Note: Your knife must be sharp enough to have the sushi nicely-cut.
Beware of your fingers during cutting.


Tata ...
The sushi is ready to be served


So far, how do you find the tutorial? Isn't them useful tips for you all? I strongly agree this is a manageable and practical solution to prevent food wastage in households. If anyone of you have any questions regarding the tutorial, feel free to nudge me or drop me a comment. I will reply you as soon as possible. For those who decide to give a try for this sushi, remember to inform me as well. I am looking forward to your feedback. Haha ...


Happy Trying Out ...
Best Wishes,
KeithK :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting choice of ingredients... And you didn't even have to use a bamboo mat to roll up the sushi and it still looks tidy, not bad not bad.

kEiTh said...

Haha. Thanks Wen Qi. I didn't really make them all, did one just for the sake of my blog. The rest, my mum carried on with it while I sat aside, opened my mouth and ate. Lolz :)