My Aims ...

To establish as an successful LAE by 2011
Visit Old Trafford to watch ManUtd's game
Learn Piano

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

PSU - Part2

Conflict rises today. Again, it is Mechanical vs Avionics again. Sweat =.=" Yesterday, as I mentioned before, I was servicing all the PSUs for current MAS's B737-400, then today, I am supposed to install all of them up. The installation process isn't that hard, except there are a few safety precautions that need to be taken into account. The most important to bear in mind, the safety release pin for the Chemical Oxygen Generator need to be removed carefully to prevent inadvertence operation of the Oxygen Generator Unit. If you ter-pull the Release Pin, well, I can say you are in deep shit! Why? The whole PSU will be considered AOG (Aircraft On Ground), meaning, the whole unit will be suspended from to be installed on aircraft, resulting another day delay to release the aircraft into service. Beside that, due to sudden release of compressed oxygen, there will be drastic increase of temperature, which may cause injury to maintenance crews in case of skin contact with the Oxygen Generator Unit. It damn hot, ya ... Back to business. When I was installing them inside the cabin, suddenly I was told to stop doing it. Why? Thanks to the A&C (Airframe & Engine) maintenance crews. They were pushed and rushed by the foreman@boss to finish their incomplete tasks. They will have to install the fore and aft cabin floor boards by hook or by crook before 430pm! Fine! Just because they need to do sealing on the floor boards after installation, we were not allowed to mingle around inside the cabin. wtf ... Sealing the floor boards with Silicone Sealant especially at the galley and lavotary compartment is quite vital to prevent water congestion and then leaks to the aircraft structure which leads to corrosion later. Okey, I understand. No choice, we, the Avionics, will have to give way to those "grease monkeys"! That's parts and puzzles in aviation where Avionics and Mechanicals have to give and take among each other, compromise and co-operate among ourselves. Our main objective by the end of day is none either to ensure the airworthiness of the aircraft before it is released to service. ** Yeah, clap hand clap hand :)**

In the end, I ended up the whole afternoon ... doing nothing. I thought, they could have done it earlier before 430pm so I can do my part, but then ... Not what I wish for. Low productivity for me today. Not a healthy indication. I am under-load. Good news, in the end, the installation of floor boards with sealing were completed by 430pm. Yeah... (",) Anyway, I hope tomorrow, I could finish the installation of PSUs as soon as possible. According to briefing this morning also, this B737-400 is expected to be serviceable for test-flight on Friday. Only 3 more days for all of us to complete whatever tasks that need to be done. Hurry up ...


Hope for more productive input tomorrow,
ChEeRs,
KeithK :)

4 comments:

kj said...

Never mind, gang up with the rest of the avionics crew and tell your mechanical counterparts that your "boss" asked you people to finish installing the Passenger Service Unit before lunch. So they will have no more choice but to leave the cabin to give way to you people like what you did on Tuesday!!! (Neh, I was just joking..Better not listen to me for i'm a bad influence on people.) Just wondering, when you people are installing all those stuff eg the PSU and cabin floor board in the plane, isn't it hot and humid since the air-con isn't on, right?? So your source of ventilation may be from the back and front door (and emergency exits??)... Now I understand why you were so tired last week. In the midst of installing or servicing those aircraft "components", you guys are also sweating and that is an exhausting matter that has the potential of sapping every ounce of energy produced by cellular respiration in the mitochondria that is left within the body...But not bad, you can update your blog regularly except during your 12 hours stint at the hanger(??). **Applause** . Hope you will have a productive week ahead which I'm sure you will (if you take my earlier advice- just j/k.)

kEiTh said...

Hi K@ Joy ...

Yeah, actually inside the cabin when the external power or Auxiliary Power Unit(APU) is not switched on, definitely the cabin will be damn stuffy and hot. Without external power supply when aircraft on ground, it is not possible to have the air-condition units to operate. Haha. At first, I wasn't comfortable with it, but now, I can still stand it. Today (Wednesday), I was installing the Floor Proximity Emergency Exit Lights in cabin. Have you ever realized the small lights located underneath your seats along the aisle? Usually, it will not illuminate unless aircraft encounters emergency situation, eg; primary power lost, or fire breaks out. Hehe, did it halfway, the Mechanical fellas came in and said they wanted to install the cabin's carpets! Not again. No choice, as usual, we had to give way. Hehe ...

How's about yourself? Been sometimes since you last wrote a post. Hope to hear from you soon.

ChEeRs :)

kj said...

Tell them, "first come, first serve..". No lah, it's too rude. Tell them, "Oh you want to install the carpets ah?? Better not do it now. Your carpets are so clean and new. If you install it before I finish fixing the lights, I'm scared it will get dirty. I don't want to dirty/ruin the carpets and i pity the janitor too... I'm sure you understand.. Thanks ya, you are the best...".

kj said...

wait a minute, are the Floor Proximity Emergency Exit Lights the same as the ones along the floor that lights up at night.. when all the lights are off?? Sorry, never encountered any emergency so far (THANK GOD) so I can't really differentiate.

Have a great day tomorrow and hope your 737-300 will be completed by tomorrow (and those mechanical LAEs give you some peace!!!)

Okay, time for dinner before I continue my revision for my CB online quiz which opens at 10pm...