My Aims ...

To establish as an successful LAE by 2011
Visit Old Trafford to watch ManUtd's game
Learn Piano

Monday, May 5, 2008

Safety above all ... !

This will be my second week in Galley/Lavotary Workshop. Parts and components have been fixed on the Galley and Lavatory Modules one by one, pieces by pieces. The deadline of completion for MAS B747-400 was supposed to be today, but things were far from completion. This morning, I had a difficult time to fabricate a new "Kick Part"; I don't know why it is named in such a way, my seniors used to call that. Anyway, "Kick Part" is a high quality plastic-made side panel that is fixed at the bottom side of a galley module. It's function is mainly for protection against water moisture around galley, apart form furnishing as it is used behind aircraft interior carpet. Well, it took me the whole day to complete ONE "Kick Part" only, I did thrice but none of its satisfy the requirements ( either it was out of dimension, or inaccurate patching) Sweat =.=" Luckily, the 'abang' was patient enough to teach me, no doubt I had bugged him whole day. "Sorry abang!" Haha :) Ask you a question, how you define "SAFETY"? Well, in aviation, SAFETY means absence of hazards. Humans sometimes take SAFETY for granted, one of the good example is ME! My friend was cutting this plastic material by using a Pneumatic Cutting Wheel, I was beside him. Suddenly, this plastic swarfs flew and hit my left eye. Ouch ... Tears were dripping down my eye, I rushed to nearby washroom and washed it throughly with free flowing water. Gosh, only GOD knows the pain! Lesson: I should have worn a safety goggle whenever doing the cutting. Obviously, we have learned about Industry Safety and passed the exams, but sometimes putting the theories into practice isn't as easy as you wanna be. Human nature, I guess ... I was totally freak out, that afternoon, after lunch, I went back to college and borrowed a Safety Goggle before I proceeded to work. What a lesson! By 430pm, I only managed to complete a set of "Kick Part", credits must be given to Wen Jie for lending me a helpful hand. Another interesting fact about lavotary again. In B747 Lavotary, there are 2 Cabin Attendance Buttons Call, one with a male symbol on it, another with a female symbol on it. Do you know why? In case of you needing any assistance when you were doing your business inside the loo, you can actually opt for a steward or stewardess to attend to you. Haha :) Okey, my apology, this is not TRUE! It was only my opinion solely, nothing to do with aircraft systems. Honestly, I also don't understand why they need 2 buttons, a 'male' and 'female' button even though their function is the same. I asked the a technician there, he said,"It is accordingly to the requirements in aviation legislation as per the Component Overhaul Manual" I was liked, "HA?" ("0) Weird isn't it ...?

3 comments:

kj said...

Wah, your are so prompt in updating your blog.. Put mine to shame... hahaha...Keep it up!! By the way, is it only B747's lavatory with 2 Cabin Attendance Buttons Call??? Other models like B777 don't have, is it?? I dunno cos I have never sat in a 747 before... Thanks and have a great week ahead. Hope your eyes are okay now.

kEiTh said...

Hey KJ ..
Thanks for showing such a depth interest in aviation. Ooh, this B747 Lavotary has only 2 button calls when it applies to handicapped passenger toilet only. This requirements are mend to be installed on wide body aircrafts, eg: B747, B777, A330, A340, and A380. So far, MAS is using its B747 for long haul flights. I personally prefer more on B777 because this aircraft is much more modernized with high tech systems and operation. Trouble-shooting is much easier as B777 is flying by wire concept. Thanks ya ... ChEeRs! :)

kj said...

Thanks for your reply, Keith..now I know.. Hmm, should purposely make a visit to the lavatory when I get to sit in one.. I do not know anything about the technical side but as a consumer who isn't from the aviation/engineering industry, I prefer B777 as compared to Airbus A330 because B777 got the personalized tv screen in front of our seat so we can choose our own movies to watch and can play games!!!! hahahah... Anyway, speaking from experience, MAS really show their Malaysian Hospitality on their long-haul flights.. just love it when you are so pampered on board...heheheh