My Aims ...

To establish as an successful LAE by 2011
Visit Old Trafford to watch ManUtd's game
Learn Piano

Monday, May 26, 2008

Servicing of PSU

Oxygen. What is Oxygen means to you? Hmmm ... The air we breathe in everyday? Or two Oxygen atoms combine to form an Oxygen molecule? Whatever it is, we all know what Oxygen is ever since we had learned them in school bench. Today is Monday. Not an ordinary Monday, but it is Monday's blues. Everyone is moving slow, things have just got warmed up. I was attached to Hangar Production Line 6 this week, doing maintenance on our own aircraft, the reliable B737-400. Just to update you all, in my last post, I mentioned about the MAS's A330 in Line 5. Well, this morning, the local press was here to cover the news, taking photos and writing reports. Guess what, I managed to sneak in and saw a group of stewardess posing in the business class cabin while cameras were flashing everywhere. **Blink blink (o.o) ** Some of my friends were otherwise, they were chased out by the security guards. Haha :) It wasn't that I curi-curi entered the cabin, but I have to help Mr Low, an Avionics LAE inside the cockpit with the FCMC Test. Lolz. Then, during lunch break, this A330 went out for Engine Ground Run. By right, this aircraft should be released into service by today, but, due to unforeseen circumstances, it will need to hold back. Most probably, tomorrow, cause I heard some other aircraft is queuing to enter Line 5 for maintenance as well. Ok, back to Line 6. Wondering why I start this post with Oxygen? My first task in Line 6 today is all concerning about Oxygen. I was given the task to carry out general inspection and cleaning of the Overhead Passenger Service Unit (PSU). In brief, PSU is located above your passenger seat in the cabin. On the a single PSU, it consists of different components such as, Reading Lamps, Cabin Attendant Call button, Air Con Mufflers, and Oxygen Masks. This task is quite bored, no doubt, after all is a repetitive task, imagine doing the same thing for all the PSUs. Sweat!=.=" Not too bad it is just B737, I couldn't take it if it was a B747's PSUs. **Keith thanks GOD!** At first, I thought through this cleaning and inspection jobs, I will not be able to learn much, but experience proves me wrong. I actually learn to appreciate the theories that I have learned in class and then figure it out how this PSU operates. Of cause, without, the guidance and explanation from the seniors, it is impossible for me to understand the operation in depth. Thanks, especially to Abg Rajan.

This picture isn't the PSU that I did in Line 5.
I found it when go yahoo-ing ...



ChEeRs ...
KeithK :)

3 comments:

kj said...

So were you in the pictures??? Who knows, if I scrutinize the local papers tomorrow, I might be able to see you. Eh, your posts are getting more and more interesting. I get to learn something new after reading each post. So thanks a lot!! Well, learning is FUN but learning for EXAMS AREN'T fun!! If EXAMS were abolished, everyone's life would be PERFECT. So learning more about avionics after reading your posts is fun for me. It increases my general knowledge...I didn't know that "platform" above our seats which holds the reading lamps, cabin Attendant Call button, Air Con Mufflers (I called it blowers all this while!!), and Oxygen Masks were called Overhead Passenger Service Unit!! KJ Sungguh memalukan.. But it seems that an LAE's job scope is also quite wide. from the plane's engine, to the cockpit, to repairing cushions and maintenance work on the various buttons too. Wow, I salute you, pal.Anyway, have a great week ahead and God Bless.

kEiTh said...

Hey K@ Joy ..

I wish I was inside the pics too. Neh, nobody wanna take photos with smelly brat like me. I was sweating all over my head during working. Eeee ... Good to be inside newspaper. So far, I only appeared once in papers. That was back to when I was in Form 5 when St Thomas won the Sony Science Award in KL. I was part of the group which received the prize in Hilton, KL. Good to be famous right? Haha :)

I am glad actually that someone is reading my posts words by words. Honestly, my blog is bored, no pictures, but with all the lengthy writing. Very seldom people like you who read them. Thanks you so much, KJ. You have been very supportive. **keith sedia and salute ;)** In case you have any inquiry about aircraft, feel free to share with me. I will try my best effort to look it out for you.
It is nice to share with everyone. Hehe :)

Well wishes from Keith always,
ChEeRs (",)

kj said...

Okay, let me correct you here. Your posts are lengthy with no pictures but they are informative. that is why i enjoy reading it. I get to learn something new. Besides that, in future, if my kids ever dream off becoming an avionics LAE, I'm going to tell him, "you got to repair cushions too. So why don't you practice on the ones you destroyed when you were young....". [Just joking]. Man, if my kid wants to become and LAE and gets accepted to study LAE, I will be more than happy.. have a good day tomorrow.