My Aims ...

To establish as an successful LAE by 2011
Visit Old Trafford to watch ManUtd's game
Learn Piano

Thursday, June 12, 2008

More than just knowledge in class ...

Going second days into my OJT in hangar after semester break, my 'engine' is getting enough of warm up goes into operation now. Currently, I am attached to Hangar Production Line 7, doing Heavy Maintenance Check D on M A S aircraft, B747-400 (Mike Mike Papa). D Check is usually termed as HMV, where all parts and components, whether they are as big as engines or as tiny as a screws and nuts on aircraft will be removed, inspected, repaired and finally installed back to restore them into original serviceable condition. Estimated time of serviceable will be early next month. From my previous experience, I have never been working on a B747, this is my first, so I am unfamiliar with the aircrafts, especially its systems and operation. All experience are new and fresh from here. Haha :)

First day, that's yesterday, nothing much I had done, I was helping the LAE to do their paperworks. Normally, the LAE will carry out their tasks according to the task cards which are issued by the Production Planning and Control Department. Prior to carry out the task, a document called In spe ctio n R ep ort C a rd (I R C) wiil be raised for further maintenance progress. All records are done by computer systems, nothing much to cry for, so long you are basic computer user like me, it should be fine. For the whole day, computer ha d been my best friend. Hehe ;)

Today, I was working on Passenger Service Units (PSUs); again! The first time I did PSUs was in Line 6 before. However, for B747, its PSU is slightly different in terms of its systems and operations. In B747, the oxygen supply was originated from 9 centralized oxygen bottles which are located in the forward cargo compartment. Guess what I did? Cleaning of all the PSUs. Imagine for B747 which is capable to carry 450++ passengers, how many sets of PSUs do I have to clean? OMG!! The PSUs are quite dirty, especially the dust. The dust over the PSUs are as thick of few pieces of A4 papers. So, how thick is it? I wander where does this dust comes from since most of the time the aircraft is flying 55 000 feets above the sky. I guess the air up there is equally polluted as well, just like the air down here. Hmmm, the task of cleaning PSUs is equally important as well, because of the accumulated dust over PSUs, it may cause the PSUs to operate inefficiently. In worse scenario, the PSUs door may not deployed during emergency. Pretty critical task also ...

My target is to complete cleaning all the PSUs before 430pm so they can be sent to workshop for re-condition and bench check. However, due to some reason, out task has been delayed. One of colleague wasn't that cooperative. This fella has been on and off during working hour. Dear Journals, sometimes, I just couldn't understand why some people have no sense of responsibility at all? Shouldn't we appreciate the trust and faith that the seniors have put upon ourselves? The seniors believe that we are capable to do this task, that's why they assign us to this task, right? Then is that the way we respond to their faith? I just couldn't understand ... Can anyone tell me? Honestly, I dislike this kind of attitude, but in reality, this is what we face in life. Every human being has their own attitudes. Glad I have came to this situation earlier because in future when I have established as a LAE, this is something that I couldn't run away from. At least, I have learned how to handle it positively now. In Human Factors study, we call this situation as 'social loafing'. Well, thanks to the rest of my members, we were able to cope without this fella, we finished all PSUs cleaning on time. Yeeaah ... :) By 430pm, we headed home; weary and tiring.
People say 'what you give is what you gain'. I believe that the more effort you put in, the more luxurious is the paid-off. Work hard from the beginning, and you will see the differences in future. Every day is a learning day, correct? It is getting too lengthy now, ya, I know ... Got to type-off now. See ya ...


ChEeRs,
kEitHk (",)

1 comment:

kj said...

Yup Keith. I really hate people like that. Those who can afford to take tings for granted while we are working our asses off. It's like some of my coursemates who can take assignments easy weeks before the deadline but when deadlines looms, they start rushing (but their marks are still good- not fair!!). That is why I prefer to do my assignments alone cos social loafing is something quite common in groups. I don't know about you, but i personally prefer working with someone who is congenial but somewhat incompetent that someone who is difficult but highly incompetent. Anyway, it's human nature for some people to be like that (bo liang, bo juak kind off character) and like it or not, we will be facing a lot of this "species" in our future. Hmm, if things can just go our way....how nice!!! okay, I got to expect that I do take things for granted too at times.. *snickers*

BTW, thanks for your motivational words. I'm off to study. I felt lazy to do my revision just now so I went online. I guess it's time for me to hit my books. Bersusah-susah dahulu, bersenang-senang kemudian.. See ya and God bless.