My Aims ...

To establish as an successful LAE by 2011
Visit Old Trafford to watch ManUtd's game
Learn Piano

Saturday, June 21, 2008

1st Kuching Company of Boys' Brigade

During my school bench, I was an active member of the Boys' Brigade. Our company is named 1st Kuching where we are based at St Thomas' Cathedral, just opposite of my school, SMK St Thomas, Kuching. I have joined BB since Secondary 2 and then discharged by the year 2006 with the rank of Staff Sergeant. I really had a lots of fun hanging around with my buddies, mostly of my age, doing crazy stuffs during camping and outing, sing-a-long for our praise and worship session, sharing our 'guy' bedtime stories middle of night in camps (haha:) Simon, you are the best storyteller), as well as flirting the girls in Girls' Brigade, and so on and forth. Being a BB is not just about drill and smart uniform, we organize various kinds of activities throughout the year that challenge both your physical and mental strength. Our badges are cool and unique with its own flavor. Each and every badges I own comes with its own story and experience. I recalled how I struggled to pass the test to qualify for the badges, especially my Drill and Camping badges. These are some of the most difficult badges to be won in the Brigade. These experience definitely colour my life during my teen's life. However, as we grow up now, most of all my buddies have parted our way. All of us have gone elsewhere to further our studies, and the only time that we can meet will be during occasion such as Chinese New Year and Christmas gathering. Hehe (",)

The emblem of Boy's Brigade -
"Sure & Stedfast" was taken from Hebrew 6:19


1st Kuching Company of Boys' Brigade
Our logo ...


Posing with my Staff Sergeant uniform
Can you spot my badges on my right arm?
Cool isn't it?
I would say the blue sash around my body
really make a good combination of color ...


Blowing bugles for the opening ceremony of
our Combine BB-GB camp 2005
in Matang Wildlife Centre.
(L-R) Simon, Keith and Raymond ...

Group photo with Sarawak Deputy Chief Minister,
Tan Sri Alfred Jabu at Kuching International Airport
before flying to KL for the
National Boys' Brigade Pesta 2006
in Malaya University.


1st Kuching Company were on stand-by for
National Brigade Drill competition in
PESTA KL 2006 in UM.
Our commander, Sergeant Dominic Chin
was standing in front with the red sash.
Can you spot me inside the squad?
Hehe :)


Few days back, when I was 'you-tubing', something struck my mind to type this in the search icon; 1st Kuching! Listen to my own heart, I typed in and the result was this:



This video was captured by my friend, KGYaw during the Kuching's City Day Festival 2007 in the Padungan Hockey Field. Our company, 1st Kuching alongside 6th Kuching BB were participating in the Band Display & Performance jointly organised by DBKU and MBKS. Actually this is the first time the 6th Kuching is joining our band. We are indeed happy and welcome them to join our contingent. The drum major is Pte. Daniel Kueh. He is very young at the age of 16 but his age doesn't limit his abilities to lead the team and shows off his talents in playing mace. See how high did he threw up the mace and yet still managed to catch it accurately? Wow ... That year (2006) I wasn't involved in this Band Display as I was already in KL doing my studies. What a miss!! Otherwise, you will be able to see me inside the video. Haha :)

This is the sequence of the songs that we played:

Manchester
Chan Mali Chan
Small World
KampungKu
Kindergarten Song
Oh When The Saints
John Brown
The Anchor Song
Drum Solo - PJ Beat
Police Beat

With our limited musical instruments and resources, we couldn't do any complicated formations or playing those exciting formations which really show the quality of a brass band. Our band is a kind of traditional band, using bugles and bellers. Unlike other BB band, they have the funds to buy brass instruments like trumpets, trombones and flutes. Our formation were much simpler. All the formations we did were solely the ideas from our band officer, Mr Kueh Keok Seng. Well, congratulations to 1st Kuching Company for doing great job and a well done performance. Looking forward for this coming August Kuching's Day again because we have new surprise for the audiences! Tee hee ... :)

Here is a video from 1st Kuala Lumpur company Brass Band during the National Pesta Brass Band Competition 2006 in Matsushita Stadium, Shah Alam. This company is one of the largest Brigade company in Malaysia. Their brass band is considered one of the best contingent in the BB.




Enjoy the shows ...
ChEeRs,
KeithK :)

1 comment:

kj said...

Are you sure it's u in the Staff Sergeant uniform?!! So thin, study too much until you forgot to eat, is it?? Hehehe.. So will you be joining the BB band performance for this year's Kuching Fest again?? Have a great and enjoyable week, pal.. (I know I will- SOON)