My Aims ...

To establish as an successful LAE by 2011
Visit Old Trafford to watch ManUtd's game
Learn Piano

Friday, June 20, 2008

Modification of clamps ...

For the second week in Hangar Production Line 7, the maintenance tasks have been more challenging as I had added new experience into my collections. Line 7 provides the docking for B747, and currently we are servicing our own B747-400. Generally, a B747 is the second largest aircraft after the A380; it is also famously known as the Jumbo. Here is a sketch of a B747's dimension as compares to some other aircrafts.

I have always enjoy working with our own aircraft. First, the condition of the aircraft isn't that 'bad' when it comes into hangar for maintenance. Second, I have more opportunities to hand-on with the tasks, otherwise with the 3rd party aircrafts, we, as trainee, have very limited chances to participate. Well, I have done quite a few 'big-time' tasks. Just to name a few; removal and installation of oxygen cylinders in forward cargo compartment, installation of main battery in Main Equipment Compartment (MEC) aka Avionics Bays, carry out Bonding Test and Insulation Resistance Test for statics dischargers at vertical and horizontal stabilizer. However, the most memorable task that I had ever done was the installation of new clamps and insulation sleeve at the wire bundles on the both sides of the wings. Previously, these insulation sleeves were not installed, but Boeing has came up with an order to install these sleeves to prevent arcing thus increase the airworthiness of the aircraft. Total, there will be 60 locations for clamps and insulation sleeves on both wings. This task sounds easy than it really looks to be. Why? Haha :) Throughout the tasks, I have encountered some difficulties especially we don't have large access to the clamping wire bundles as most of them are located along the wing spar's area with all the control cables, air ducts and power feeder cables running along the length. Not only that, the working area is dark, dirty with grease and different types of lubricants, congested and stuffy. By the end of the day, my hand was cut by sharp edges in the working area, my body was aching as I need to stretch out every single parts of my body to reach out for the clamps at the limited access zones. Taking out a clamp and installing them back will cost us almost one hour. OMG!! The biggest satisfaction and huge breath of relief was when I finally successfully completing the tasks, even it was only a single clamp that I had replaced. You will get pain in your neck when you come across unsuitable clamps due to incorrect sizes. The time of waiting for the spare parts to come from the store is killing. We can't proceed with the others because we don't to mix up the components or miss out any unreplaced clamps and insulation sleeves of the other wire bundles.

Frankly speaking, sometimes I am afraid of height. I know, it sounds silly for a guy, but imagine the height of B747 is about 64 feet (19.4m). That's the highest point on the vertical stabilizer. Oh well, with reilings surround the scaffolds, by the time I look down from above, I can feel my both legs are shaking strong. My heart beats as I have seen a naked girl standing in front of me. Hehe :) Some more, when the winds blow, splashing the scaffolds, you can feel the whole structure is shaking like a minor earthquake!! As I reflected them back, I had been to most sections of the aircraft, from the nose to tail, up to down, left wing to right wing. Indeed, it was really a precious experience to work at various locations on the aircraft.

Next week, I will still remain in Line 7. This aircraft is expected to be serviceable by end of July. Hope we can make it in time. Overall, all my efforts did paid off. At least, I get to learn to accumulate at working at limited access areas under difficult working environments. Not to say I am blowing my own trumpet, but this is what a LAE will be facing when he/she establishes in future.

Anyway, I am hungry now, going out for dinner now. Time to type-off now.


Happy Weekend Break, everyone!

With regards,
KeithK :)

1 comment:

kj said...

So where does Boeing 777 lie?? hehehehe. Good to hear that you had a productive week working with Jumbo. I'm sure Jumbo enjoys your companionship too..have a great weekend ahead.